The Toronto Blue Jays are Canada’s one and only MLB team, so they get the support of a whole nation. But if you want to supplement that support with a little bit of action for yourself, you’ve come to the right place. We’ll break down everything you need to know to succeed when Blue Jays betting, including how to read Blue Jays odds, how to bet on Blue Jays markets, and a few tips on how to choose the right betting apps or betting sites.
Toronto Blue Jays Betting Odds & Guidelines
Everything You Need To Know For Betting On Toronto Blue Jays
There are a lot of components that go into successful MLB betting, so it’s important to get a good grasp and understanding of all of these contributing factors before you dive in and start spending cold hard cash on Blue Jays betting odds.
Not only do you need to understand the game of baseball and be familiar with the Blue Jays as a team, but you also need to understand the different betting markets, you need to be reading sportsbook reviews to figure out where the best sports betting sites are, looking for the best sports betting bonuses, and learning about Blue Jays betting odds and how to read them properly. We’ll break all of that down for you here.
Blue Jays Betting Markets
There is a wide variety of betting markets you can check out when you’re doing some Blue Jays betting. The sheer volume of betting types when it comes to betting on baseball can be overwhelming to many a bettor, so we’ve listed the most common markets below and explained a bit about them so you can decide which type of bets you’ll be looking to make.
- Moneyline → A simple bet on which team you think is going to win a particular game. This is the type of Blue Jays betting you should be doing if you’re just getting started with sports betting.
- Runline → Similar to the point spread in the NBA or NFL and the puckline in hockey, this is a bet on the margin of victory rather than the actual result of the game. Like the puckline, the runline is always set at 1.5 because of the lower-scoring nature of the game of baseball. This means that unlike the point spread, which moves while the odds generally stay the same, the runline stays the same while the odds change more drastically. A team with a -1.5 runline needs to win by two or more for a bet on them to hit, while a bet on a +1.5 runline can watch their team lose by one and still win the bet.
- Totals → Unlike the moneyline and runline, which are related to the result of the game, a totals or over/under bet is concerned strictly with how many runs are scored regardless of how they're scored. Sportsbooks will handicap the game and decide on a total number of runs and the bettor’s task is to bet on whether the teams will combine for over or under that number of runs.
- Futures → If you’re looking to bet on long-term or big picture type of stuff, this is the kind of bet you should start looking at. Futures bets are wagers on propositions that will usually take place over the course of an entire season or playoff series. Some examples of futures bets include who will win the AL, who will win the NL, who will win the World Series, who will win the end of year individual awards, how many wins a team might have, how many wins a pitcher might have, whether a team makes the playoffs, how many games it will take for a team to beat another in a playoff series, and much more.
- Player Props → These are wagers where a bettor can focus on handicapping a single player’s performance rather than a whole team or whole game. While in most other team sports a player’s performance is heavily influenced by his teammates, in baseball it’s just the pitcher against the hitter, so it’s a lot easier to pinpoint player trends and bet on them that way. You can bet on things like whether a starter will get the win, how many strikeouts they’ll have, how many walks they give up, how many runs they allow, how many bases, hits, home runs, or walks a hitter might get, or who might score the first run or get the first strikeout. The options are seemingly endless.
- Parlays → A sportsbook’s dream, parlay betting has become increasingly popular in recent years despite the fact that these types of bets are how sportsbooks make most of their money. Instead of making four different bets, you can roll all four, called legs, into one parlay bet with a much higher payout (and a far lower implied probability). The high payouts are always enticing, but we do not recommend betting with parlays.
How To Read Blue Jays Betting Odds
Arguably the most consequential part of sports betting is the odds that your bet is offering. The odds are important because they communicate the implied probability of your bet winning. Low odds mean that a prop has a high implied probability of coming to fruition while high odds mean something has a lower probability of happening. Low odds result in low payouts, while high odds result in higher winnings.
There are three ways that you might see odds being displayed on various sportsbooks: decimal, fractional, and American. Decimal odds are pretty simple to read. The higher the decimal number next to your betting market, the higher the odds and the higher payout.
To find your payout, simply multiply the decimal by your stake. For example, a $100 bet on Blue Jays to win at 3.5 odds means that if they win, you’ll come away with 100 x 3.5 = $350. For fractional odds, the number on the left is your potential payout if your stake is the number on the right. For example, if you find Blue Jays betting odds of 9/2 on the moneyline, that means that a $2 bet will net you $9.
However, the most common way to display odds in North America is with American odds, which are slightly more complicated to read. Basically, a “-” symbol refers to a favorite or a prop that is likely to happen, while a “+” refers to an underdog or a prop that is less likely to hit. The higher the number next to the “-” the lower the payout, the higher the number next to the “+” the higher the payout.
The number next to the “-” represents how much money you need to bet to win $100, while the number next to the “+” represents how much you’d win on a $100 bet. For example, if you’re betting on Toronto Blue Jays at -150 moneyline odds, a $150 bet would net you $100 profit. Conversely, if the Jays are listed as +200 underdogs, a $100 bet would result in $200 in winnings.
How To Get The Most Out Of Blue Jays Odds
The thing about any kind of sports betting odds, including Blue Jays betting odds, is that they are not consistent across all sportsbooks offering Blue Jays markets. Most of the time, the odds for the same betting market will be similar across various sportsbooks, but not exactly the same.
This means you can find extra value on any bet you place by surfing to different sportsbooks to find which one has the most lucrative odds on the market you’re looking to bet on. This is a practice called shopping lines, and it’s one that any regular sports bettor should consider getting into, as it can result in big time boosts in profit if done on a regular basis.
Blue Jays Betting Strategies & Tips
It’s always good to have something of a plan when you take on a new endeavor, and Blue Jays betting is no different. You want to have an idea about how you’re going to find value and choose your betting markets, you don’t want to just fly in and make bets willy nilly based on nothing but instinct. Instinct is worth including in the consideration, but you should also be using some tried and true strategies like the ones we’ve listed below:
- Bet On Divisional Dogs → As in any sport, familiarity breeds tougher competition, and that’s as true for baseball as any of them. Nearly a third of the 162 games a team plays is against their divisional opponents, which means they’ve got a lot more info on them and therefore know how to play each other tougher. This means that underdogs in a divisional matchup are inherently offering more value than a non-divisional opponent. The public overvalues the home field advantage and higher totals means more runs, which means more variance. So we’re looking for divisional road dogs in games with high totals here.
- Know The Crew → Another thing that’s worth a look is who the umpire is for a game on which you’re betting. Some umps love the crowd hate, which benefits road teams, some love to appease the crowd, which benefits home teams, some have tight strike zones, benefitting unders, and some have loose strike zones, benefitting overs.
- Check In With The Weatherman → We’re not talking about precipitation here, we’re talking wind. When the wind is blowing in at 5 miles per hour or more, the under is a great bet, while a wind blowing out at 8 miles per hour or more means the over should be considered.
Blue Jays Betting Trends
With the 2023 MLB season in full swing, it would behoove us to take a quick look at how the Blue Jays have been faring so far this season in terms of betting trends. Trends aren’t the end all be all for betting, but they are useful to see what’s been working lately and what hasn’t.
- Toronto’s 4-1 record as a home underdog is 2nd best in the majors
- Toronto is 14-6 against the NL this season, 3rd best among AL teams
- Toronto is 7-17 against AL East opponents this year
- Toronto’s 34-18 record against non-division opponents is 2nd in the MLB
MLB League Format Explained
Each MLB season starts with spring training for all 30 teams in the league, which generally runs from mid to late February through most of March. The 2023 campaign got underway on March 30th this year and will run for six months until October 1st. Each team plays 162 games throughout the regular season, with the 30 teams split evenly into the American League and the National League.
Historically, the NL has generally been known for more small ball, things like bunting and stealing bases were more common than in the AL, where the premium was paid on power rather than speed. The leagues are much more similar now, however, with the main difference being that the AL has a designated hitter to replace the pitcher in the batting order, while in the NL pitchers must hit as well as pitch.
Each league has 15 teams which are further divided into three divisions of five. Both the NL and the AL have East, Central, and West divisions. The Blue Jays play in arguably the toughest division in baseball which also includes the New York Yankees, Boston Red Sox, Tampa Bay Rays, and Baltimore Orioles.
2023 represents the first time in MLB history that every team will play every one of the other 29 teams in the majors. The 162-game regular season is broken down as follows: each team plays the four teams in their division 13 times each for a total of 52 divisional games, each team plays the other 10 teams in their League a total of 64 times, each team will play a total of 46 games against the 15 teams from the other League, including four against a “natural rival,” which is a team from the other league in close geographic proximity.
In the middle of the season, usually some time in July, the MLB takes a little break for All-Star week. The festivities usually last about five days and include various events including the fan favorite Home Run Derby as well as the actual All-Star Game, also called the Midsummer Classic, which pits the best players from the AL versus the cream of the crop in the NL.
At the end of the regular season, the team that has the most wins in each division advances to the postseason. The three teams in each league with the best records after the division winners, called wild cards, also make the playoffs. The No. 3 division winner then plays the No. 3 wild card and the No. 1 wild card plays the No. 2 wild card in the best of three Wild Card Series.
The winner of the No. 1 vs. No. 2 wild card series plays the No. 1 division winner, and the winner of the No. 3 division winner vs. No. 3 wild card series plays the No. 2 division winner in a best of five Division Series. The winners of those series in each league then meet in the best of seven League Championship Series. The winners of the LCS then meet in the best of seven World Series.
Where To Do Your Blue Jays Betting
It’s essential to find online betting sites that fit your preferences and proclivities, because sportsbooks can vary pretty widely. Since sports betting became legal a few years ago in North America, there has been an explosion of online sportsbooks, so to help you wade through all the waste, we’ve done the research for you and found what we believe to be the three best Blue Jays betting sites on the web today.
One of the most popular Canadian sportsbooks on the market, Sports Interaction is no slouch when it comes to Blue Jays betting, providing baseball bettors with a ton of betting options while also offering very competitive odds.
If you want a sportsbook that looks as good as it plays, Betway is the way to go. They’ve got some limited live streaming as well as the early cash out feature, but where they really set themselves apart is the speed and quality of their live betting feature.
A truly Canadian sportsbook, Bet99 actually has a whole section where they put all of their unique specials bets on Canadian teams and athletes. Their specialty is the NHL, but they’ve still got a ton of MLB betting options, including a really good variety of player props and live betting markets.
Blue Jays Betting Site Features
There’s a lot that goes into choosing your go-to sportsbooks for Blue Jays betting because different sportsbooks have different focuses and provide different betting features. To help you figure out which features matter most to you and which ones don’t really move the needle, we’ve listed a few of the most popular sportsbook features.
- Early Cash Out → This feature allows you to cash out a bet before the result of your bet has been decided. Basically, it allows a bettor with a bet to cash out early and get a portion of their stake back if it doesn’t look like their bet is going to hit. It also allows bettors with bets that look like they’re winning to get out early to ensure they win at least some of their winnings, thereby avoiding some last minute shocker that could result in a lost bet.
- Live Betting → The most important and popular feature for any sportsbook is their live betting capability. This allows bettors to bet on markets for an event that has already gotten underway. With this feature, bettors can make more informed bets based on what’s happened in that game already and the way they believe the game will progress. You want a sportsbook to have speedy updates to their live betting markets as well as a nice variety of those markets to choose from.
- Live Streaming → This feature is becoming more common with every passing month. Live streaming allows bettors to actually watch the action they bet on through their sportsbook. Often, you’ll have to make a qualifying bet on that event to get access to the live stream. While MLB live streaming is pretty rare, lesser baseball leagues can often be streamed through sportsbooks.
- Same Game Parlay → One of the newer features, the same game parlay is exactly what it sounds like. While all sportsbooks offer parlays when you’re combining bets from different games, this feature allows bettors to create a parlay with selections from the same game. This is a great option when bettors have taken the time to thoroughly handicap one particular game.
How We Rank Blue Jays Betting Sites
The thing about sports betting and deciding which sportsbook is for you is that every bettor has different preferences. Because of that, a sportsbook that might be perfect for one bettor might be a nightmare for another bettor. To help you figure out whether you’re in line with our sportsbook priorities or help you create your own hierarchy, we’ve listed a few of the factors we use in ranking our sportsbooks.
- Blue Jays Betting Coverage → If you’re getting into the game mainly to do Blue Jays betting, then the first thing you should consider is how dedicated prospective sportsbooks are to the Blue Jays and baseball in general. A good baseball sportsbook is one that has a ton of betting markets available for each game, but, just as importantly, one that is also offering competitive and lucrative odds on those markets as well.
- Banking Compatibility → An often overlooked factor in choosing the right sportsbook is the compatibility between your banking preferences and the banking options offered by the sportsbook. You want to ensure that, firstly, they actually use your preferred method for both deposits and withdrawals, and secondly, that they aren’t enforcing any fees on those transactions.
- Blue Jays Betting Promotions → Another way to figure out if potential sportsbooks are good for baseball bettors is to check out the kind and frequency of their baseball-related betting promotions. You want a sportsbook that’s offering daily odds boosts on Blue Jays betting markets as well as other MLB games. Frequent bettors should also be able to get small free baseball bets regularly as well.
How To Open A Blue Jays Betting Account
Now that you know how to find the right sportsbook for you and your betting goals, we thought it would be prudent to go through exactly how to set up a betting account for any Blue Jays betting beginners.
- Start by surfing to your preferred betting site or downloading your preferred betting app. The sign up or register button is usually located at the top right of the screen. Click on it, and follow the prompts to create a profile and provide all the relevant personal information they need.
- Next up is funding your account. Decide beforehand how much money you can afford to lose, because you should never be gambling with money that you actually need. Once you’ve decided on your bankroll, provide your financial information to make the transaction.
- Once you’ve got some money to play with, it’s time to do your research and take the time to find where there is real value based on trends and odds.
- When you decide which markets you like, be sure to do a little line shopping at other sportsbooks you’ve signed up with to make sure you’re getting the best value on your bet.
- Decide on what your stake will be for the bet. A good rule of thumb is to stake no more than 1 percent of your bankroll on any one bet. That would mean that if you have a $1000 bank roll for the season, each bet should be $10. Once you have your stake, place the bet.
- Now, all there is left to do is sit back, enjoy the action, and watch the winnings start to roll in!
What To Know About The Toronto Blue Jays
Since 2004, when the Montreal Expos moved to Washington D.C. to become the Nationals, the Toronto Blue Jays have been the one and only Canadian team in the MLB. They were founded in 1977 and have been playing in the AL East ever since. They played at Exhibition Stadium in the West End of the city from 1977 until 1989, when they moved to a brand new stadium downtown called the SkyDome. They continue to play at the SkyDome today, though it is now called the Rogers Centre.
The Blue Jays won two AL East titles in the 1980s before their golden age of the early 1990s when they won the division title again in 1991 before winning back-to-back World Series titles in 1992 and 1993. Their most recent division title came in 2015, and they have made the postseason as a Wild Card three more times in 2016, 2020, and 2022.
Toronto has employed some truly elite players that represent them in the Hall of Fame such as Roberto Alomar and Roy Halladay. Roger Clemens also had some of his best years with the Jays, winning the pitching triple crown in both his seasons with the team in 1997 and 1998. In terms of batting franchise records, first baseman Carlos Delgado, who played in Toronto for 12 seasons, has most of the ones that matter: home runs (336), doubles (343), RBIs (1,058), and walks (827).
Blue Jays Betting FAQs
Is it legal to bet on the MLB in Canada?
Yes, it is legal to bet on baseball in Canada, as long as you’re doing so with safe betting sites that are licensed and regulated by the proper authorities. Different provinces have different rules, so be sure to familiarize yourself with the idiosyncrasies of your home province.
Have the Blue Jays won the World Series?
The Blue Jays have only been to the World Series twice, and they won on both trips in 1992 and 1993. The second of those championships is famous in the baseball world for being the only World Series to be won by a come-from-behind walkoff home run, which was provided by Jays legend Joe Carter.
Where should I bet on Blue Jays?
There are literally dozens of legal betting sites where you can get your Blue Jays bets in. However, we would recommend following our guidelines for finding your preferred betting site and starting off with the trio we picked out above.
Can I bet on the Blue Jays to win the World Series?
Yes, you can bet on any team to win the Fall Classic at any point of the season until they’ve been eliminated from contention. At this point, in late June, the Blue Jays have the seventh shortest odds to win their third World Series at around +1,400 at most sportsbooks.
Which division do the Blue Jays play in?
The Blue Jays have been in the AL East since they were founded in 1977, and these days, it’s an unfortunate place to be because of the quality of the other teams in their division. At this point in the season, the AL East is the only division in all of the MLB where all five of its teams (the Jays, New York Yankees, Boston Red Sox, Baltimore Orioles, and Tampa Bay Rays) are all above .500.
Who hit the most home runs for the Blue Jays?
First baseman Carlos Delgado, who played 12 seasons with the Blue Jays from 1993 to 2004, holds the franchise record with 336 dingers. Jose Bautista has the single season record, hitting 54 in 2010.
Do the Toronto Blue Jays have any rivals?
The other four teams in Toronto’s division are all bitter rivals because of how often they used to play. Divisional matchups only account for 52 games in the schedule now, but they used to account for 76. The Blue Jays of the mid-2010s also developed a fierce rivalry with the Texas Rangers that resulted in a few on-field fracasses, but that animosity has dissipated in recent years.
Who has the best Blue Jays odds?
The sportsbook with the best Blue Jays will change game to game, which is why it’s smart to join several sportsbooks so you can shop lines for every Blue Jays bet you make and always ensure you’re getting the most bang for your buck.