Best NHL Betting Sites in Canada
The NHL is a massive league that is covered by just about every bookmaker. Picking the right one can be tough, so we’ve compiled several of the top NHL betting sites to help find the one that’s best for you.
Best NHL Betting Sites
🏒Explaining the NHL
The National Hockey League (NHL) was founded in 1917 with 6 different franchises! Since its inception, the league has seen several remodels with their league, including the expansion into the United States. As the league continued to grow, hockey would become a popular market across both nations. In 1967, the league expanded, adding teams in California, Pennsylvania, Missouri and Minnesota. 1967 was a monumental year for the league as it was their biggest set of additions to the league. Since then, the NHL would add teams across the United States and Canada. Most recently, the NHL added their 32nd franchise, the Seattle Kraken.
With 32 teams, the action is split between two conferences. 16 teams are represented in the Eastern Conference, with another 16 teams making up the Western Conference. Inside the respective conferences, there are two divisions (four in total). The Atlantic and Metropolitan Division make up the Eastern Conference, while the Pacific and Central Division make up the Western Conference.
Each team currently plays 82 games in the regular season – split evenly between home and away games. After the conclusion of 82 games, the NHL playoffs begin. The top three teams from each division make the playoffs. From there, the two best teams with the highest point total (regardless of division) also enter the playoffs, known as wild cards. 8 teams from each conference reach the NHL playoffs, totaling 16 teams.
Every NHL playoff series is a best-of-seven. NHL action tends to see a lot of upsets, so there is no guarantee that a top seed will reach the NHL Stanley Cup Final. In history, the Montreal Canadiens have the most NHL championships, totaling 24 Stanley Cups. The Detroit Red Wings (11) and Toronto Maple Leafs (13) are the only other NHL teams with more than 10 Stanley Cups.
Some of the league’s most exciting players include Connor McDavid (Edmonton Oilers), Nathan MacKinnon (Colorado Avalanche), Auston Matthews (Toronto Maple Leafs), Cale Makar (Colorado Avalanche), Alex Ovechkin (Washington Capitals), Adam Fox (New York Rangers) and Igor Shesterkin (New York Rangers).
Since its launch in 1917, the NHL has seen a ton of action over the years. The fast-paced sport has become one of Canada’s most wagered sports and it continues to be a hot topic for NHL betting sites.
Recommended Betting Sites to Bet on the NHL
There are a ton of NHL betting sites but we’ve cut out the fat to help you make a better decision when wagering. Listed are some of the best sites to bet on NHL action. These sites have great markets, betting options, promotions, and even welcome bonuses for new users! As well, they are legal in Canada, which means you don’t need to worry about safety when playing on these NHL betting sites.
Sports Interaction NHL Betting Site
As one of the top bookmakers in Canada, Sports Interaction is a popular spot for NHL betting. The betting brand’s claim to fame is being a site built by Candaians, for Canadians. And since hockey is a Canadian sport, you can bet that their NHL offerings are legitimate. Offering markets such as live betting, player and game props, as well as boosts, Sports Interaction should be considered for your next site to bet on the NHL.
100% up to $1000
Betway NHL Betting Site
Betway has been a reliable betting site for quite some time. The brand has skyrocketed in popularity over the years and one of the reasons is their daily props. Overall, Betway has great NHL betting markets but their boosts and props help take them to another level. They even offer enhanced odds on certain daily props! Of course, the usual suspects (Moneyline, Totals, Puck Line) are offered as well. Betway is a trusted site for sports betting in general and their extensive list of NHL markets helps keep them at the top!.
100% Deposit Up to $200
888Sport NHL Betting Site
As one of the most reputable betting brands in Canada, it only makes sense that 888Sport would be a great pick for NHL betting. The orange brand has great offerings for NHL betting (and hockey in general). Offering a mobile app to hit live bets on the road and an easy-to-navigate website, 888sport has Canadian sports bettors wrapped around its finger. The cherry on top is their welcome bonus, which is enough to catch the attention of Canadian sports bettors.
100% Up to $250 + $10 Casino Bonus
PowerPlay NHL Betting Site
PowerPlay has a hockey reference in its name and we believe they are a solid choice for all of your NHL betting. The brand has been around since 2018 and has quickly become a top choice for bettors wanting to wager on the NHL. PowerPlay offers the best markets, including game props! As well, they offer welcome bonuses and a comforting user-interface for their website. As a trusted betting site, PowerPlay is elite for hockey wagers.
$500 Sports Bonus. 100% Bonus on First Deposit
How to Bet on the NHL?
As an NHL bettor, you’ll need to understand how to read odds. Honestly, it’s quite simple! In every match-up, there are favourites and underdogs. As expected, the favourites are favourited to win, while the underdogs are expected to lose. The quickest way to understand which team is favourited is to look for certain symbols. If you see this symbol (-), that means the team is the favourite. If you see this symbol (+), that means they are the underdog. For example, the Ottawa Senators (-125) vs. Toronto Maple Leafs (+115) indicates that the Senators are the favourites in this scenario.
The number beside the team indicates how much money you need to wager to win $100 for the favourite. For the underdog, the number indicates how much money you would win if you wagered $100. In our example above, teams backing the Senators straight up (Moneyline) would need to wager $125 to win $100. For teams backing the Maple Leafs, a $100 wager would earn $115. This also includes your stake, so Sens backers would net $225 and Maple Leafs winners would receive $215.
We used American Odds to explain this scenario, but other (albeit less common) odds can also be displayed in Fractional and Decimal.
There is a bit of NHL betting jargon to become familiar with before wagering! While these bets are usually universal, some NHL markets use different terms to describe their betting markets. We broke down typical betting markets for hockey and how to understand them.
- Moneyline: Seen as the most common bet, the Moneyline wager is a bet in which you choose the winner straight up. Choose the correct team to win and you win your bet!
- Puck Line: The Puck Line is hockey’s version of the spread. The line (which is usually 1.5) are goals taken away from the favourite and given to the underdog. The underdog must win straight up or lose by less than the promoted line, while the favourite needs to win by more than the betting line.
- Totals: Totals betting (over/under) looks at the number of goals scored in the game. If the line is listed at 5.5, you are wagering if there will be more (over) or fewer (under) total goals scored in the game. Of course, the line is adjusted based on the two teams playing!
- Futures: Futures wagers are bets that happen down the line. Typically, these bets are placed before the season begins. Some notable futures bets include who will win the Stanley Cup who will win the Stanley Cup and over/under total points for individual teams
- Props: Prop bets are wagers not directly tied to the outcome of the game. Most NHL prop bets include a stat, such as total goals by a specific player or number of shots in a game. Depending on the bookmaker, you can find some interesting prop bets, like national anthem length and number of shifts taken by Auston Matthews in the third period!
NHL Strategies & Tips
Betting on the NHL isn’t easy. We made a list of what you can do to be prepared when wagering on NHL action!
- Know who is in net: Goaltending is an important factor when betting on the NHL. Researching the starting goalie for each team and their trends in the crease can help you make an educated wager. Some teams opt to use their backup against weaker teams, which could open the door for an underdog victory. There are different factors to consider when betting and goaltending should be a high concern.
- Be aware of the teams’ schedule: With an 82-game season, there are going to be tired hockey players! Be wary of the schedule when you are betting. Teams can play on back-to-back nights and that could impact performance. Travel, away games and other variables could also impact how a team performs on the ice. Ensure you are researching schedules when placing NHL bets!
- Look at recent performances: This could factor into betting trends but looking at recent performances for both players and teams is another great strategy. Sometimes, you need to ride the hot hand and you’ll only know of them by researching recent performances. Streaks are prominent in hockey and we want to focus on recent performances before placing bets.
- Research Trends When Betting the PuckLine: Unless otherwise stated, the usual Puck Line is 1.5. With the most common NHL score being 3-2, hammering the Puck Line could be challenging if you are taking the favourite. When placing bets on the Puck Line, look at other factors such as goaltending and betting trends as this is typically a hard bet to cash.
List of top 10 NHL Betting Sites
- Sports Interaction: An in-depth and enjoyable NHL experience from a great Canadian operator
- Betway: An operator that has thrived in Canada, due in part to their enjoyable NHL betting experience
- PointsBet: This sportsbook and casino provides bettors with many different kinds of bets to pick from
- Bwin: A popular operator that has massive amounts of markets for big NHL events
- 888Sport: A well-known gambling operator with a great app and unique promotions for NHL bettors
- Royal Panda: Countless NHL player props to pair with other unique features
- BetMGM: One of Canada’s most trusted betting sites with high-quality live betting
- LeoVegas: A recently launched sportsbook with great NHL game prop offerings
- PowerPlay: An NHL betting site with easy banking and great customer support
- Unibet: Worldwide operator with many markets for NHL events
NHL Promos and bonuses
Accessing the best promotions and bonuses for betting hockey will make your experience so much better! There are varying promotions from site to site which you can take advantage of. Some popular NHL promos and bonuses include free bets, boosted odds, same-game parlays, reduced juice, tournaments, and more! NHL betting sees a ton of action and the offered bonuses/promotions reflect that.
Important NHL Betting Rules to Know
Before wagering on NHL action, there are important rules to understand. Every operator is different, and the fine print should be read. But this is a general rule of thumb that can be applied to many bookmakers.
- If the game is canceled or delayed, money is returned to the bettor
- If the game doesn’t go 55 minutes/is canceled before running 55 minutes, the Moneyline and Puck Line will not count either way, and money will be returned without winnings
- If a period isn’t fully played out, then bets placed on that period don’t count
- Overtime and Shootouts are both counted towards Moneyline wager, totals, player props, and game props. A shootout win counts as one goal for a team, and shootout goals aren’t counted as goals for player props
- The overtime period is counted on third-period prop bets if a game goes into extra time
- Player props only count if the player plays. If a player does play, then gets injured, the bet still counts. If a player is scratched, or the goalie bet on doesn’t start, the bet doesn’t count
- Teams must play at least 80 games for Futures bets to count
- All awards Futures bets are based on NHL.com’s official awards
Frequently Asked NHL Betting Questions
Betting on the NHL is similar to betting on different sports. However, there are some uncommon hurdles you may face when placing NHL bets. These are frequently asked questions about betting on the NHL that don’t usually apply to other sports.
❔How Does Overtime/Shootout Work with NHL Betting?
Every bookmaker is different but the general rule of thumb is that overtime and shootouts impact your wager. Unless otherwise stated, overtime and shootout action is included. However, there are certain bets you can make that are regulation only, meaning you can place wagers on total goals, moneyline or puck line in regulation. This would NOT include any overtime or shootout action.
❔What is the best Betting Site for me to use for NHL betting?
The best betting sites are all subjective and personal to each user. What one person wants on site may not be of importance to another. The key to finding the best betting site for NHL action is to research the available markets,
❔When Should I Live Bet?
Live betting allows you to bet on games that are already in progress. Live betting is extremely useful for hedging your bets. For example, if you placed a bet on a team to win, and they race out to an early lead, placing a small live bet on the opposing team will allow you to earn money either way in some circumstances. As well, if you think a team will blow a lead, or make a rousing comeback, a live bet allows you to capitalize on these beliefs.
❔What is the purpose of NHL parlay betting?
Parlay betting allows you to tie multiple different bets under a single umbrella. If one bet doesn’t hit, the whole bet fails. The upside of parlay betting is that it allows you to boost your odds because by tying multiple bets into one, the odds increase substantially more than they would if you bet on each result individually. These bets are great for the playoffs, when bettors have a solid sense of each team and know they will be trying their hardest. Bettors can tie multiple playoff bets into one for a great time, and a large potential payout.
❔What resources are there to help me make more money betting?
The beautiful thing about the internet is that it is a treasure chest of wealth and knowledge. NHL bettors can use the web to refine their strategy for betting. This could include researching betting trends, team performance, player performance and other important statistics! NHL itself has advisors giving betting tips and advice for free, so that’s another avenue you can explore to help with NHL betting!
Patrick covers the NHL, MLB, and NCAA football for BettingTop10 Canada. He's a huge fan of both sports – as well as many others. He is a huge Ducks and Cardinals fan, despite them being nowhere close to his birthplace of Ottawa, Canada. Patrick always wanted to be a writer, and sports were his favourite thing in the world, so he combined the two to make a career. As he says: "I have been a long-time gambler and sports betting writer that isn’t afraid to look at the underdog or specials."
- Betting Sites
- Best NHL Betting Sites in Canada