The Toronto Maple Leafs are the most popular sports team in Canada's biggest city, a historic franchise that is as popular as it is frustrating. Millions of fans passionately cheer for the Maples Leafs and wager on them on their favourite sports betting sites. In this guide, we’ll explore everything you need to know about Leafs betting, ranging from how to bet on Leafs games to how to read Leafs odds. When we're done, you'll be ready to wager on one of the most popular hockey teams on the planet. Ready? Let's begin!
Toronto Maple Leafs Betting Lines
Intro to Maple Leafs Odds
How to Bet on Leafs Games
The Toronto Maples Leafs have a rabid fanbase that has been known for their passion for the team. But if you are a passionate Leafs fan, don’t get carried away with betting before you know the best practices.
Whether you are Ontario betting or British Columbia betting, wagering on the Leafs requires a lot of background knowledge.
Below, we'll give you some of the crucial things to know about gambling on the Leafs, including popular markets, how to read Toronto Maple Leafs betting odds, and more.
Markets and betting types
Markets are the different outcomes that gamblers are wagering on within a league or sporting event, while betting types are the different ways of gambling a sportsbook enables.
There are many different Leafs markets and betting types you'll find on sports betting apps and websites. Let’s look at some of the most popular ones you’ll find Leafs betting lines for.
- Moneyline: Moneyline bets are wagers on the final outcome of a game. If you pick the Maple Leafs on the Moneyline, you’ve bet on them to win in either regulation or overtime.
- Puck Line: The Puck Line is hockey's point spread. It is typically set at 1.5. This represents the projected score differential in favour of one team. Bettors can bet for or against the spread. If they bet for, the favoured team has to win by two or more goals. If they bet against, the favoured team must win by one or lose.
- Total: The total, also known as the over/under, represents the total combined goals scored in a game between two teams. Bettors can pick the over or the under. The over means they combine for more than the line the under means they combine for less.
- Outright: Outright bets, or futures, are long-term bets. They can be things like betting on the odds for the Leafs to win the Cup or wagering on Auston Matthews to win the Hart Trophy.
- Player Props: Player Props are outcomes within a game related to individuals. They can be things like betting on Ilya Samsonov’s total number of saves or whether or not William Nylander gets a point.
- Game Props: Game Props are similar, except they are based on teams rather than players. Game props are the most expansive market and can cover things like which team will score more in the second period, how many total shots on goal there will be, and what the final score will be.
- Parlay: A Parlay ties multiple bets into one bet, with each bet within the parlay needing to transpire for the bet to cash. An example would be betting on the Leafs to win their game and the Blackhawks to win their game.
- Live Betting: Live betting is a wager on a game that has already started. The system updates the odds according to what is happening in real time.
How to Read Leafs Odds
Before you head off to wager on tonight’s Leafs odds, you must first know how to read them. Whether you are NHL betting, NFL betting, or Formula 1 betting, knowing how to read odds is a crucial part of the journey.
Odds show bettors how much money they’d make if they bet on an outcome and it hits. These odds provide you with a sense of what the Vegas oddsmakers believe the likelihood of something occurring is.
For most Canadians, the primary form of odds they wager with is American Odds, so we’ll break down how to read and understand this style.
American Odds have + and – lines, which indicate different things. A + line indicates how much profit a bettor would make from a $100 bet, while a – line indicates how much bettors would need to bet to make a $100 profit.
For example, if bettors are wagering on Leafs Vegas odds that are +400, a $100 bet returns $400 profit. But if they bet on odds that are -400, a $400 bet returns $100 profit. That means + odds are considered less likely to hit than – odds.
There’s also the important element of understanding + and – in spreads. For the Puck Line, if the Leafs are -1.5, they are favorited by 1.5 goals. If they are +1.5, they are the underdog by 1.5 goals.
Let's look at that all together with an example. The Leafs are playing the Bruins, with the Leafs favoured by 1.5 goals. Here's how that would look:
Leafs -1.5 -110, Bruins +1.5 -110.
If a bettor wagers $110 on the Leafs and they win by two or more goals, the bettor will receive a $100 profit.
When it comes to Leafs betting, one of the most popular types of wagers is futures betting. Many bettors bet on player futures based on the many awards in the NHL.
The NHL hands out numerous awards throughout the year given to players for performing at a high level. There are several different categories of awards handed out to individuals, and bettors can wager on them for an exciting gambling experience.
Let’s look at the different trophies you find Toronto Maple Leafs betting odds for.
- Hart Trophy: The Hart Trophy is the award handed out to the player judged the Most Valuable Player in the regular season. Auston Matthews claimed this award in 2022, and he is always a contender to repeat.
- Rocket Richard Trophy: The Rocket Richard Trophy is given to the player that leads the league in goal-scoring during the regular season. Matthews again won this award in 2022. He is one of the best scorers in the league and will always have strong odds to repeat.
- Art Ross Trophy: The Art Ross Trophy is the award given to the player who leads the league in points during the regular season. Incredibly, no Maple Leafs player has ever won this award. Mitch Marner or Matthews are both contenders with decent odds of winning every year.
- Norris Trophy: The Norris Trophy is handed out to the player deemed the top defenseman in the league during the regular season. Once again, no Maple Leafs player has won this award in its long history. Morgan Reilly has the best chance of any player on the roster, although he will likely have middling odds.
- Vezina Trophy: The Vezina Trophy is handed out to the goaltender deemed as the most valuable in the regular season. No Leafs player has won this award since 1965. The current top goaltender, Ilya Samsonov, has a lot of talent but won't likely be high up on the list of contenders next season.
- Conn Smythe Trophy: The Conn Smythe is the trophy given to the player judged as most valuable to their team in the postseason, almost always going to the best player on the winning team. Seeing as how the Leafs haven’t won in some time, the last Leafs player to win was in 1967. No Leafs player will have great betting odds for this market going into next year.
- Jack Adams Trophy: The Jack Adams Trophy is given to the coach judged as the best in the regular season. The last Leafs coach to win it was Pat Burns in 1993. Sheldon Keefe should have decent betting odds for this award next year.
Toronto Maple Leafs Projections
Bettors will find long-term Leafs betting lines for more than just trophies and individual awards. There are also Maple Leafs odds on team projections.
Team projection lines are outcomes based on how the Maple Leafs will perform as a team in either the regular season or postseason. Let’s look at some of the different projections there are Leafs Vegas odds for.
- Win Stanley Cup: The Leafs haven't won the Cup since 1967, but they have a talented team that fans always talk themselves into believing in. They have some of the best odds to win the Cup of anyone next year.
- Win Conference: Fans can also wager on the Leafs to emerge as the representative of the Eastern Conference. The Leafs similarly haven’t even made the Finals since 1967. They also will have solid odds to make it next year.
- Win Presidents Trophy: The Presidents Trophy is given to the team with the best regular season record. The Leafs have never won this trophy. They will have one of the higher odds of doing so next year.
- Win Division: Bettors can wager on the Leafs to win their division, the Atlantic. The Leafs will have relatively high odds of winning, but their division is stacked with talent, including the Bruins, Panthers, and Lightning.
- Make Playoffs: Bettors can bet on whether or not the Leafs will make the playoffs. The odds will heavily favour the Leafs to make the playoffs, as they have for the past seven years.
- Season Points Total: Bettors can also wager on the Leafs point total. Oddsmakers will assign a total to the Leafs, and bettors can wager on whether the Leafs will exceed that total amount of standing points.
One of the keys to successful Leafs betting is establishing a strategy. Whether you are Quebec betting or Alberta betting, no matter your location, a strategy will ensure you get the best possible results from your betting.
A strategy ensures bettors make the most sage decisions possible, but it never guarantees a profit. Sports betting has its inherent risks; a good strategy just helps minimize them.
Let’s look at some good strategies for betting on Maple Leafs odds.
- Use Promotions to Your Advantage: There are many sports betting offers, including welcome bonuses, which give bettors additional incentives for betting. Look around at different sportsbooks to find Leafs betting promotions that benefit you.
- Look at Different Odds: Every sportsbook has different odds. If you are looking for Leafs odds, consider checking multiple sportsbooks to find the one that is most favourable to the outcome you expect to happen.
- Research Statistics and Trends: Data doesn’t determine everything in betting, but it should help instruct your strategy. Research how teams perform against the spread, look at how specific teams are performing and monitor player performance to see who is riding a hot streak.
- Exercise Caution with Parlays: A lot of bettors tend to see the high dollar signs parlays bring and get reckless. However, it is important to remain cautious and not get carried away with parlay betting because there are plenty of risks that come with it.
- Learn About Hedging: Hedging bets is a way to secure a guaranteed win for bettors. Hedging is when bettors place a bet against their own bet when they have made a wager that could have a large payout. It is the cautious, smart move in a lot of circumstances.
If you are going to wager on the NHL, it is important to understand how the league works and where the Leafs fit in it.
The NHL has 32 teams divided into two conferences and four divisions. Each conference has 16 teams, and each division has eight.
The teams will play 82 regular season games, with each one being 60 minutes long. Games are divided into three 20-minute periods. If a team wins within the 60 minutes, they get two points. If a team loses in regulation, they get 0 points. If they lose in overtime or the penalty shootout, they get one point.
The Maple Leafs play in the Atlantic Division. This division features the Boston Bruins, Tampa Bay Lightning, Florida Panthers, Buffalo Sabres, Ottawa Senators, Detroit Red Wings, and Montreal Canadiens.
NHL playoffs format
Once every team has played 82 games, it is time for the playoffs to begin. The playoffs feature 16 teams squaring off their chance at the Stanley Cup, with eight teams in each conference making it.
The teams in the playoffs are seeded according to how many standing points they have at the end of the regular season. The top three teams in each division make the playoffs, as well as the two teams in each conference that had the most points without finishing top three. These additional teams are known as wild cards.
The first-place team in each division plays one of the two wild cards. The second and third-place teams in each division play each other. The series are best of seven, meaning the first team to win four games proceeds to the next round.
Eventually, there will only be two teams left in each conference. Those two teams face off, and the winner is declared the conference champion. The winner of each conference will play in the Stanley Cup Finals for a chance at etching their name into history.
How to Choose a Leafs Betting Site
Betting on Leafs odds requires gamblers to find a sports betting site that meets their needs. At BettingTop10, we look over and craft sportsbook reviews for many of the top operators that serve the Canadian market. There are a lot of things we consider when looking these sportsbooks over.
Everyone will have different preferences when it comes to sports betting sites. But there are still certain things gamblers should try to keep in mind when picking their ideal sportsbook.
Let’s look at some of the key factors that should dictate how you choose a betting site to wager on the Leafs Vegas odds.
- Maple Leafs Odds: As we've said, every betting site has different odds. The top ones will have odds that are more favourable to bettors.
- Safety and Legality: Using safe betting sites is a crucial priority. Bettors who use illegal betting sites put themselves at risk of fraud and other issues. Always check the license of a sportsbook to make sure you are legal betting.
- Promotional Offers: Every sportsbook offers promotions and bonuses to its users. These bonuses can give gamblers huge payouts and additional incentives for placing wagers. Betting on a sportsbook that offers many bonuses makes for a fun gambling experience.
- Hockey Coverage and Markets: For Leafs bettors, this will be a defining part of their decision-making. Betting on a sportsbook that covers every NHL game and offers a huge range of markets for each event is important, as it gives gamblers the range of options they are looking for.
- Payment Processes: To bet, you will need to deposit and hopefully withdraw. Each operator takes different payment methods and has differing payout speeds. Banking with a sportsbook that takes many different payment methods and has fast payouts is important.
- User Experience: Sports betting is supposed to be fun. Users should seek out websites that feel fun and exciting, with easy-to-navigate layouts, eye-catching colours, and fun features that keep you coming back for more.
- Mobile Betting: For a lot of bettors, sports betting apps are a defining part of their experiences. Finding a sportsbook that supports mobile betting with either an app or a great mobile site is crucial.
Is it legal to bet on the NHL in Canada?
Legality is a hugely important concern for a lot of people, so if you were wondering if it is legal to bet on the NHL in Canada, the answer is yes.
Sports betting in Canada has long been a legal gray area, but recent years have changed that. In 2021, the Canadian government passed Bill C-218, which removed the government’s prohibition on single-game sports betting.
This means the industry is now provincially controlled. In Ontario, the government has fully opened the doors to new betting sites and major betting companies. In other provinces, there are provincially-ran websites that allow users to wager.
In every province, there are also offshore betting sites that are run in jurisdictions where sports gambling is fully legal. Canadians can use these offshore sites at their leisure, as the government doesn't punish offshore betting.
How to Open an Account
We’ve given you a look at how to bet and broken down some of the things bettors should look for in a sportsbook. But now, you are probably wondering how to bet on Leafs games.
The process of wagering on the Leafs is quite simple, but if you are unfamiliar, it can cause confusion. At BettingTop10, we’re here to help. Below, we’ll break down a quick step-by-step guide to creating an account and starting your sports betting journey.
- Step One: Find a Betting Site. Browse the many different sports betting options that are available online. Find one that has the features you prioritize.
- Step Two: Create an Account. Go through the account creation process. This requires you to create a username and input your personal details. These include your address, contact details, date of birth, and more. Some sportsbooks will ask you to verify these details with a government ID.
- Step Three: Get the Welcome Offer. The welcome offer is a big part of the betting experience. You can opt-in to the welcome offer when you are creating your account or on other sportsbooks when you are depositing.
- Step Four: Deposit. Depositing is a key part of starting your betting journey. Select the payment method you want to use, input your details, and choose how much you want to deposit.
- Step Five: Start Betting. Once you have money in your account, you are good to start your betting journey!
- Do Your Due Diligence: Before you sign up for any Leafs betting site, it is important you look over the options. Check multiple sportsbook reviews and research the operators to make sure you find the best site for you.
- Browse Welcome Offers: Every sportsbook uses welcome offers to try and entice users to join. Browse the different welcome offers available, and sign up for a betting site that will provide a big reward for joining up with them.
- Don’t Hesitate to Sign Up for Multiple: Bettors shouldn't hesitate to sign up for a couple of betting sites. Each sportsbook provides welcome bonuses to users, so the more betting sites you sign up for, the more offers you will receive.
- Safety First: Safety is everything. Prioritize your safety by looking at the license of each operator and checking their cybersecurity certifications.
About the Toronto Maple Leafs
The Toronto Maple Leafs have one of the most fascinating histories of any sports franchise. As one of the NHL’s original six teams, they have an illustrious history dating back to 1917. The Leafs have won 13 Stanley Cups in their rich history.
However, once the league expanded, the Leafs run of success diminished. The Maple Leafs have not won a Cup since 1967, the longest Stanley Cup drought in NHL history. They also haven’t reached one in the same time frame.
Furthermore, the Maple Leafs had the longest postseason series win drought in NHL history, going 17 seasons without winning a series before finally getting the job done in 2022.
Some talk about the Maple Leafs as a cursed franchise with horrible luck and poor decision-making. But there have been great players like Mats Sundin, Curtis Joseph, and Doug Gilmour who have played for the team.
While the Leafs consistently find new ways to upset their fanbase, they have some of the most devoted and passionate fans in the world. Every year, you’ll hear the same thing in Toronto: there’s always next year.
- Auston Matthews: Auston Matthews could be the best pure goal scorer in the league. He claimed the Hart Trophy in 2022 after scoring 60 goals and is an unbelievably talented sniper. He is one of the top talents in the game.
- Mitch Marner: Marner is an exceptional playmaker and dynamic talent who is good for 90+ points every year. He is also underrated defensively and has been one of the Leafs best players since he entered the league.
- Morgan Reilly: Reilly is the Leafs top defenseman, a talented offensive dynamo who is a great quarterback on the backend. He is also a noted playoff performer, something not everyone on the Leafs can say.
- John Tavares: Tavares gets flak from fans thanks to his contract, but he remains a point-per-game guy who is unquestionably one of the Leafs best players. While he is aging, he is the Captain and a great leader.
Frequently Asked Questions About Leafs Betting
Is Sports Betting Legal in Canada?
Yes! Sports betting in Canada has long been tolerated, but in 2021, the government passed a motion to remove prohibition around it. Now, bettors can wager on Leafs games without any concerns.
Are There Different Leafs Odds by Website?
Yes. Every betting site has different odds. So checking to make sure the sportsbook you are using has good odds is important if you want to receive the best value possible.
When Was the Last Time the Leafs Won a Cup?
The Leafs last won a Cup in 1967. This is the longest drought in hockey history. The last time the Leafs won, there were six NHL teams. There are now 32.
Who is the Leafs Biggest Rival?
The Leafs biggest rival is the Montreal Canadiens. They are both original six franchises and share a division, and games between the two teams get incredibly heated. It is maybe the biggest rivalry in the sport.
Who is the Top Player on the Maple Leafs?
Auston Matthews is the Leafs player with the most accolades. He has a Hart Trophy and a 60-goal season. He is widely considered the Leafs top player.
Which Market Has the Best Payout for Hockey Bettors?
There is no single market that has the best payout for bettors, as there are numerous prop markets that can have a huge variation of odds. However, one market that does have huge payouts is futures, as these tend to have so much unpredictability.
Do the Leafs Have Good Odds to Win the Next Cup?
Yes! The Leafs are considered one of the top five contenders next season for the Cup. However, Leafs fans have gotten their hopes up before, so it is hard to be too confident.
Can I Bet on Leafs Player Performance?
Yes. Bettors can wager on the Leafs players either through player props, which are centred around their performance in games, or futures. Futures allow bettors to wager on trophies, like the Hart Trophy or Vezina.