The Vancouver Canucks are one of the most popular teams in Canada, a major franchise that is beloved across the West Coast. This young team is looking to return to glory, and in this guide, we’ll give you all you need to know about wagering on the Canucks on sports betting sites. We’ll look at everything from how to understand Vancouver Canucks odds to key betting strategies for wagering on the team. Ready? Let’s get started.
Vancouver Canucks Odds and Betting
Best Betting Sites
How to Bet on Canucks Games
For bettors looking to get started wagering on the Canucks, we are happy to provide all the information you need to get started. Below, we’re going give a breakdown of how to bet on Canucks games by exploring the key things you need to know, including how markets and Canucks betting lines work, as well as other key info like strategies, projections, and more,
Markets and betting types
For Vancouver Canucks fans, there are several markets and betting types that will pique their interest. Markets are the outcomes that bettors are wagering on to happen or not happen, while betting types are the different ways of wagering that sportsbook provides.
Every operator has different options available for markets and betting types. Understanding what each means will allow gamblers to have a clear sense of what exactly they are gambling on.
Let’s look at some of the different markets and betting types you’ll find Vancouver Canucks betting odds for.
- Moneyline: A Moneyline bet is the simplest option for gamblers. It is a form of wagering where bettors place bets directly on the outcome of a game. For example, a Moneyline wager on the Canucks is just betting on them to win their game in regulation or overtime.
- Puck Line: The Puck Line is a point spread that, in hockey, is typically set to 1.5. That means one team will be favored by 1.5 goals. Bettors can wager for the spread, meaning the favored team wins by two or more goals, or against the spread, meaning the favored team will win by one goal or lose outright.
- Total: The total is a line that represents the total combined goals two teams will score in a game. Bettors can wager on the over or under. For example, if the Canucks are playing Oilers and the line is set at 6.5, the two teams would need to combine for seven goals for the over to hit or score six or fewer for the under to hit.
- Outrights: Outrights are long-term markets that bettors can wager on within the league. These are things like betting on the odds for the Canucks to win the Cup or wagering on the line for Elias Petterson to win the Rocket Richard.
- Player Props: Player Props are an expansive market that many sportsbooks offer, although there are some that don’t. This is a market that is based on how players perform within a game. Some classic player props you’ll find are Anytime Goalscorer markets, where you can bet on whether or not a player scores in a game, or save totals, where you can bet the over or under on a line representing how many saves a goalie will have.
- Game Props: Game Props are similar to player props, but they are related to team performance rather than players. So it is a category of markets that can include a huge variety of things. Some of the classic game props you’ll see on many sportsbooks include betting on which team scores first, how many penalties a game will have, and so on.
- Parlays: Parlays are a type of betting where bettors combine multiple bets into one. These can be bets from two different games, like betting on the Canucks odds and B.C. Lions' odds, or within the same game, like betting Canucks Moneyline and Quinn Hughes anytime goalscorer. For a parlay to hit, every bet within it needs to cash.
- Live Betting: Live Betting is wagering on a game that has already started. Most sportsbooks will have an algorithm that updates the odds according to what is happening within the game.
How to Read Vancouver Canucks Odds
Once you've established what markets and betting types are, you've made important progress. But to really get how betting works, you are going to know how to read odds. Odds are the lines created by bookmakers that reflect the projected likelihood of an event and show bettors how much they'd make if they wager on that line.
For bettors trying to wager on Canucks Vegas odds, learning what the numbers and symbols all mean is a necessity. Below, we’ll break it down by looking at the most common odds type for Canadian bettors, the American system.
How the American system works is that odds are displayed as + or -. If something is shown as +, that means the next numbers will show you how much profit you’d receive on a $100 bet. If something is +450, a $100 bet will earn you your $100 back and an additional $450. That means oddsmakers believe it is highly unlikely to occur.
If something is -, that line is showing you how much you’d need to wager to earn a $100 profit. If something is -450, you’d need to wager $450 to receive a $100 profit. That means oddsmakers believe that outcome is highly likely to occur.
The next key to understanding odds is understanding which team or outcome is the favorite and which is the underdog. With the American system, the + and – will show you.
If the Canucks odds are + and their opponent's odds are -, the Canucks are the underdog because the payout is more if they win. That means oddsmakers believe the Canucks will lose.
With a Puck line, the + indicates which team is the underdog and the – which is favored. So if a team is -1.5, they're favored by 1.5 goals, while if a team is +1.5, they're the underdog by 1.5 goals.
To put it all together, if you see a Puck Line odds that looks like this: Canucks -1.5 -120 vs. Flames +1.5 -130, that means the Canucks are favored by 1.5 goals, and a bet of $120 on that line would yield $100 profit.
One of the most popular forms of Canucks betting is, as we mentioned, an outright. You’ll find outrights on new betting sites, old sportsbooks, and everything in between, as they are a staple of the gambling industry. One of the most popular forms of outright betting is wagering on the NHL’s many awards.
The NHL has several major awards that bettors can wager on throughout the year, either before the season begins or as it continues on. Let’s look at some of the popular NHL awards to wager on that you’ll find Canucks betting lines for.
- Conn Smythe Trophy: The Conn Smythe is the award the NHL gives to the player deemed to be most valuable to their team during the playoffs. It is a legendary award that is a big legacy moment for a player. It is primarily given to players on the winning team, although some losing players have received it. Most often, it goes to a center or goaltender. No Canuck has ever received this award, as the Canucks have never won the Cup.
- Hart Trophy: The Hart Trophy is an award for the MVP of the league for the regular season. It often is given to forwards that rack up points. Henrik Sedin was the last Canuck to earn this award. The player with the best odds of winning it on the Canucks in the future is superstar forward Elias Petterson.
- Norris Trophy: The Norris Trophy is handed out to the player judged as the best defenseman in the league. No Canuck has ever won the award, but superstar defenseman Quinn Hughes will always have strong odds of doing so. He has shown himself to be an incredible offensive defenseman.
- Rocket Richard Trophy: The Rocket Richard Trophy is not a judged trophy, as it is given to the player that scores the most goals in a season. Since the award has been handed out, there has never been a Canucks player that received it. Once again, Petterson is the most likely candidate on the Canucks, as he had 39 goals last season and is just entering his prime.
- Vezina Trophy: The Vezina Trophy is the award handed out to the goaltender that is judged to be the best in the league during the regular season. No Canucks goalie has ever earned this award. The Canucks current goalie, Thatcher Demko, has shown the ability to perform well but will likely have low odds of claiming the award next year.
- Jack Adams Trophy: The Jack Adams Trophy is given to the coach deemed to be the best in the league for the regular season. Two Canucks coaches, Pat Quin, and Alain Vigneault, have earned this award. The current coach, Rick Tocchet, is likely a longshot for this award.
Vancouver Canucks Projections
While bettors enjoy wagering on outrights for individual player trophies, they also love betting on team outcomes. There are plenty of Vancouver Canucks odds that are centered around how the team will perform according to different projections.
Let's look at some of the popular projection markets bettors can find Canucks betting lines for.
- Stanley Cup: Bettors can find odds for the Canucks to win the Stanley Cup in any sportsbook. Heading into the offseason, it looks like next season’s Cup odds for Vancouver will be amongst the lowest in the league after a difficult season.
- Win the Division: Bettors can also wager on whether the Canucks will win the division. Considering the Canucks play with the defending champ Golden Knights as well as the stacked Oilers, their odds of coming out on top of the division next year will be low.
- Presidents Trophy: The Presidents Trophy goes to the team with the most points in the regular season. The Canucks won this trophy back-to-back in the early 2010s but haven't come close since. Their odds for this trophy next season will be very far-fetched.
- Point Total: Before the season begins, oddsmakers will set a point total for teams. For example, next season, the Canucks total might be at 82.5. Then, bettors will have to wager whether the team will go over or under that total. Typically, the odds for these totals are even.
- Make the Playoffs: Lastly, bettors have the option to wager on whether or not the Canucks will make the playoffs. The last time the Canucks made the playoffs was 2020, and barring a big move, oddsmakers will not project them to make it next year.
Before you can start cashing in on your favorite Canucks betting markets, it is important to form a strategy. Strategies are a substantial component of finding your way to success when wagering because every decision you make should have thought and intent behind it.
A good strategy will ensure you aren’t taking unnecessary risks when gambling and are exploiting some of the gaps in the market. A lot of bettors ask how to get the most out of Vancouver Canucks betting lines, and the truth is, you'll never have a 100% success rate. But if you are thoughtful and employ a strategy, you'll put yourself in the best position to succeed.
Let’s look at some of the key strategies to deploy when wagering on the Canucks.
- Utilize Welcome Bonuses: Sports betting bonuses can yield some huge payouts, and welcome offers are at the top of the list for betting offers. These are rewards offered by betting sites to new users. Don’t be afraid to join multiple betting sites to take advantage of the welcome offers available.
- Look for Different Odds: Every sportsbook has different odds available on its website. If there is a specific Canucks line you want to wager on, look at multiple websites to see which one has the best odds for the outcome you believe will happen.
- Track Recent Player Performances: Hockey is a game of ebbs and flows. If you are looking to wager on player props, look at how players have performed in recent games. Not just their goals and assists but their time on ice and shots on goal.
- Analyze Matchups: Hockey is a game of matchups, and you should factor that into your betting decision. Look at the kind of team both teams in the game are before wagering. Are they high-scoring? How is their goaltending? Do they have a strong defensive team? These are all important factors to consider.
- Stay Current with Major Changes: A lot can change throughout the season and off-season. Keep up to date with relevant information on the team you want to wager. There are many teams that are one trade away from true contention.
- Don’t Be Afraid of Outrights: Outright betting markets can yield substantial payouts, but many bettors avoid them because of perceived risk. But as we’ve mentioned, there are numerous kinds of outright markets, ranging from player awards to team point totals. Give one a shot!
Before you can start wagering on the NHL, you should have a clear grasp of the format the league follows. Let’s look at some of the crucial things you need to grasp to understand how the league works.
The NHL features 32 teams, each of which competes in 82 games in the regular season. The teams are split into two conferences based on their geography, the Eastern and Western Conferences. Each conference will have two divisions, and each division will have eight teams.
The Canucks are in the Western Conference and compete in the Pacific Division. This division features teams like the Edmonton Oilers, Las Vegas Golden Knights, Los Angeles Kings, Calgary Flames, Seattle Kraken, Anaheim Duck, and San Jose Sharks. It is mostly composed of West Coast teams.
For every game a team plays, they will receive two points if they win, one point if they lose in overtime, and no points if they lose in regulation. They are sorted in the standings according to how many points they receive.
NHL playoffs format
Once the regular season is wrapped, playoffs begin. Eight teams from each conference make the playoffs, for a total of 16. Teams are sorted into the playoffs according to the number of points they accumulated in the regular season.
The top three teams from each division make the playoffs, and then the two teams in each conference with the most points that didn’t finish top three in their division will make it as well. These two additional teams are called wild cards.
The first-place team in each division will play a wild card, while the second and third-place teams in each division will play each other. The series are best of seven.
The winner of each series proceeds to the next round, with the winner of the two vs. three playing the winner of the one vs. wild card. After that, there will be two teams left in each conference. They will play each other for a chance at the Stanley Cup.
The winner from each conference will play in the Stanley Cup and determine who is the champion that season.
Where to Bet on the Canucks
We’ve given you much of the information you’ll need for Canucks betting, covering things like the odds and markets you need to know. However, there is one thing we haven’t yet touched on, and that is where to bet on the Canucks.
At BettingTop10, our job is to look at betting sites and offer sportsbook reviews so our readers can find safe betting sites with enjoyable gambling experiences. Whether for British Columbia betting or Quebec betting, we won’t recommend a sportsbook unless we are absolutely confident it is a great option for users.
Below are some of the operators we can say with confidence that are great for bettors and will provide excellent platforms for gambling on the Canucks.
PowerPlay is a sportsbook that has made a quick impact on the Canadian market. With a hockey reference in its name, you can be confident that this operator is ideal for hockey bettors. It has a range of fun bonus offers and deep NHL coverage, with plenty of fun markets and a great user experience.
Truenorth.bet is a Canadian operator that gamblers are sure to enjoy. They have an array of excellent sports betting options, including substantial coverage of the Canucks with many great markets. They also have a high-quality mobile experience and plenty of fun features. Their live betting page is phenomenal, and they have industry-leading offers.
Spreads.ca is another incredible sportsbook Canadians have been loving in recent years. They have a second site for Ontario-based bettors, which is called Northstar Bets, but the user experience on both is similar. These websites offer plenty of fun ways to wager on Canucks games with unique features and great markets.
Features are the embedded aspects of a sportsbook that dictate how you can use a website. These are the permanent parts of a betting site, such as a unique market or daily offer, that differentiate one website from another.
There are many features that we believe are important for betting sites to have. Let’s look at some of the top features that should be available on any site frequented by Canucks bettors.
- Cash-Out: The Cash-Out feature enables bettors to exit a bet before it is over, either at a win or loss. If the bet seems likely to hit, bettors can exit with more money than they staked, but if it is likely to lose, they’ll exit with less.
- Live Betting: Live Betting is when bettors wager on a game that is already underway. The odds change as the game is played. Just about every sportsbook will have this feature available to bettors.
- Boosted Odds: Boosted Odds are when sportsbooks take odds and make them have higher payouts to bettors, even if nothing has caused these lines to change. For example, an operator could bump the Canucks winning a game from +105 to +130.
- Betting Tournaments: Betting tournaments are when sportsbooks host free-to-enter tournaments for their users. Bettors receive points for winning bets, and whoever wins the most points can get cash prizes.
- Same-Game Parlay: The same-game parlay feature is when a sportsbook enables users to make parlay bets on multiple outcomes in a single game. For example, bettors can wager over on the game total, Canucks Moneyline, and a game or player prop.
- Unique Transaction Options: This is when sportsbooks allow users to deposit or withdraw with unique methods, such as cryptocurrency or Apple Pay. This can lead to quicker and more convenient transactions.
How we rank the sites
Whether bettors are Ontario betting or Alberta betting, the criteria we factor in when ranking our sportsbooks don’t change. There are specific aspects of an operator that we believe are integral to a positive betting experience.
Every sportsbook is different, with different areas of strength and weakness. While no sportsbook is perfect in every area, there are some things it is more important to be strong at than others. Let’s look at some of the most crucial criteria that we use to determine whether or not an operator is good for wagering on the Canucks.
- Legality and Security: The most important thing is the safety and legality of the website you are using. We only review legal betting sites because if bettors use illegal operators, they open themselves up to potential scams and hacking vulnerabilities.
- User Experience: The user experience is an important component of betting. With this, we typically factor in how a website looks and functions. Does it have a plain, boring style with a confusing layout? Or is it colorful, organized, and appealing? How a website looks can impact the experience users have.
- NHL Coverage and Markets: Since we are looking out for Canucks bettors, we think it is crucial that an operator has excellent coverage and markets for every single NHL game. We believe an operator should have dozens of Canucks odds, including exciting props, to truly be a top-tier betting site.
- Betting Offers: Betting Offers are a big deal to many bettors. These are the rewards sportsbooks use to incentivize bettors to take certain actions. These can include welcome packages, profit boosts, and more. It is important sportsbooks have bonus offers that can be used on Canuck events.
- Customer Support: If you ever encounter issues on a betting site, having customer support available will be an important consideration. Good customer support options include a call line, live chat feature, email response, and an FAQ page.
- Payments: The deposit/withdrawal process is a standard part of sports betting, so betting sites should ensure that they have smooth, efficient pages for this process. There should be no delays with transactions, and betting sites should give users many payment options.
How to open an account
Now, you’re equipped with much of the information you’ll need to kick your betting journey into gear. However, you might be wondering one final thing: how to bet on Canucks games.
We’ve given you much of the information needed to get started, but now, we should look at precisely how you can start your betting journey. Below is a step-by-step breakdown of the process of getting your online Canuck gambling experience started.
- Step One: Select Your Operator. Find an operator that has the key features and necessary ingredients you are looking for. Visit their website.
- Step Two: Create an Account. Click on the Create Account tab to start the registration process. You’ll need to input personal details on the website, which include your age, name, contact information, location, and more. You might even have to verify your identity.
- Step Three: Deposit. Once you have an account set up, you can deposit into the website. To do this, just click on deposit, select your payment method, select how much you intend to deposit, and put in your payment details.
- Step Four Place Your Bets. Once you have money in your account, you can visit the NHL selection to see the markets and place bets.
About the Vancouver Canucks
The Vancouver Canucks are Vancouver's National Hockey League team and one of the most popular sports franchises on Canada's west coast. They play their home games at Rogers Arena. The team plays in the Pacific Division in the Western Conference and is currently coached by Rick Tocchet.
The Canucks were launched in 1970 as an expansion franchise and have developed one of the most intensely passionate fanbases in the league.
The Canucks are the oldest franchise to never win a Stanley Cup. They have made the Stanley Cup on three occasions, in 1982, 1994, and 2011. All three times, the team fell short.
Throughout the Canucks history, they have had some world-class players. Pavel Bure, Markus Naslund, Roberto Luongo, and the Sedin twins are some of the legendary players to lace it up for a lengthy career with the Canucks.
Today, they are a young team dealing with a return to difficulty after the glory days of the Sedin era. They have missed the playoffs in seven of the last eight years. They have the young talent to turn things around, though.
- Elias Petterson: Petterson is a young Swedish forward who has entered the realm of superstardom. After relatively quiet 60+ point seasons following his great rookie year, he had an incredible 102 points last season.
- Quinn Hughes: Hughes is another integral young piece for the Canucks. At just 23, he is one of the top offensive defensemen in the game. He had a career-high 76 points last season and will keep on improving.
- J.T Miller: Miller is a hugely talented veteran who took his game to the next level with the Canucks since he arrived in 2019. He followed up a 99-point season in 2021-22 with 82 points last year.
- Andrei Kuzmenko: Kuzmenko shocked everyone during his rookie season, as he was far more NHL-ready than expected. The Russian forward lit the league up for 39 goals and 74 points. With more NHL experience, he could be one of the best scorers in the league.
Frequently Asked Questions About Betting on the Canucks
You've got questions; we've got answers. Below, we've assembled a list providing answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about wagering on the Canucks.
Is it legal to bet on the NHL in Canada?
Yes! It is fully legal to wager on the NHL in Canada. There are different rules according to the province you are located in, but generally speaking, you can wager on single games or parlays in any Canadian province or territory.
What are the odds for the Canucks to win the next Stanley Cup?
The Canucks are currently listed at +5000 as we enter the 2023 off-season. However, a lot could change as trades and free agency plays out this year. This line does not reflect great confidence from oddsmakers.
Who is the Canucks best player?
Right now, the Canucks best player has to be considered Elias Petterson. Fresh off his first 100+ point season, the talented Swedish centerman looks like he is the future of the franchise, and at 24, he could still be getting better.
What markets are the best for Canucks betting?
Your ideal market depends on personal preference. For some bettors, the many fun markets that can be found with outrights and player or game props stand out. For others, the simplicity of the Moneyline, puck line, and total are more ideal.
What are the common player prop markets?
Every website has different player prop betting options. Some common player props include any time goalscorer, points total, saves over/under, hits over/under, and more.
Does every website allow for wagering on the Canucks?
Just about any sports betting site that serves the Canadian market will have odds on every Canucks game. Hockey betting is too important in Canada to ignore.
Can shopping for Vancouver Canucks odds make a big difference?
Shopping for odds, or looking at odds on multiple sportsbooks, is a great way to find better options. It can make a real impact, although the odds tend to be relatively similar on every site.